Guest Hurricane Safety Information & Preparedness Plan
National Hurricane Center (NHS) Website - https://www.nhc.noaa.gov
LISTEN TO or WATCH your local radio or television station for the latest National Weather Service advisory, as well as special instructions from local government.
WEATHER INFORMATION - 850-763-1701
NOAA Hurricane Hotline - 305-229-4483
(Can be contacted from June 1 to November 30 for taped updates on storms.)
• Clear Patios & Balconies: Guests should bring any light furniture on patios or balconies inside their units.
• Designate a Safe Room: Designate a room in your unit that provides the most shelter from the storm. Typically, this is an interior room with no windows.
• Establish An Evacuation Plan: Know the community’s evacuation zone, and where to go once an evacuation is required and the location of the nearest shelters (including if the shelter accepts pets – see www.floridapets.net
• Charge Your Electronics: Charge your cell phone, camera and laptop batteries and consider purchasing backup batteries.
• Prepare Your Vehicle: Fill your tank and check your tire pressure. The sooner this is done the better, as lines at gas stations tend to get longer as the storm approaches.
• Fill Your Bathtub: Consider cleaning with a diluted bleach solution and storing drinking water in large containers or in the bathtub, as tap water may not be safe to drink for some time after the storm.
• Traffic Check: Check local evacuation routes to determine which is the best option and leave as quickly as possible (traffic becomes heavier the closer the storm becomes).
• Refrigerator and Freezer Clean Out: To avoid rotting food if power is lost, refrigerators and freezers should be cleaned out prior to evacuation.
• Unplug Electronics & Appliances: Turn off and unplug any computers, printers, routers, coffee makers, and other appliances or electronics. If possible, remove electronics from the floor and place them in the highest available location.
After an evacuation order
- Traffic Check: Check local evacuation routes to determine which is the best option and leave as quickly as possible (traffic becomes heavier the closer the storm becomes).
- Unplug Electronics & Appliances: Turn off and unplug any computers, printers, routers, coffee makers, and other appliances or electronics.
After a Tropical Storm or Hurricane
- Return Patio/Balcony items that were brought in
- Report any property damage to Blue Swell at (877)729-3083